LIVE: Coronavirus sparks fears as cases rise in Middle East

2010751 1131890207

DUBAI: As the Middle East continues to grapple with the coronavirus outbreak, governments in the region and around the world have been taking extra precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.

Friday, March 13 (All times in GMT)

07:35 – Kenya confirmed its first coronavirus case, the country’s health minister said.

07:23 – South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.
The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) recorded 110 new coronavirus cases on Friday compared with 114 a day earlier, taking the national tally to 7,979. The death toll rose by three to 70.
In contrast, 177 patients were released from hospitals where they had been isolated for treatment, the KCDC said.

06:53 – Australian home affairs minister Peter Dutton said he had tested positive for coronavirus.

 

 

06:42 – Dubai said that it would hold a major horse race without spectators later this month in response to the new coronavirus. The Dubai World Cup, planned for March 28, is the world’s richest purse for horse racing, with a $12 million prize last year.

 

 

06:40 – UAE’s Etihad said that flights to and from Rome and Milan will be temporarily suspended from March 14, the airline’s Twitter post said.

 

 

05:35 – The Turkish health minister said a second patient has been confirmed with coronavirus infection.

01:11 – Thailand reported five new coronavirus cases on Friday, the country’s public health ministry said.
The new cases brought the country’s total to 75.

00:09 – Dubai’s Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum unveiled a $408.4 million economic stimulus package aimed to reduce the effects of the coronavirus.

 

 

Thursday, March 12 (All times in GMT)

20:38 – Abu Dhabi’s Department of Health and the Abu Dhabi Public Health Centre have launched an official website to inform the public about the developments of the new coronavirus COVID-19.

18:11 – The UAE’s health ministry reported three coronavirus recoveries, bringing the total number of recoveries in the country to 20.

This video explaining how COVID-19 transmits person to person was produced by the World Health Organisation

17:31 – Lebanon reported its third coronavirus death. The third patient was a 79-year-old who suffered from lung cancer and got the virus from a 52-year-old man who died on Tuesday.

16:12 – Oman’s health ministry reported a new coronavirus case in the country, taking the total cases to 19. The patient is an Omani citizen and is currently undergoing treatment in a hospital.

15:37 – The Kuwaiti government has activated a website to update the public about the latest developments of the coronavirus.

13:59 – Oman’s Supreme Committee released new decisions on Thursday: The suspension of tourist visas to all countries for one month starting March 15. The committee has also banned cruise ships from entering Omani ports and stopped all sporty events, for one month. It also banned shishas in authorised places in the country.

 


Credit: Source link

Author: ApnayOnline

ApnayOnline.com is an oline news portal which aims to provide latest trendy news around the Asia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *