Colombo (News 1st): The Governor of the Western Province Azath Salley convened a media briefing today (April 26).
The Governor rejected the allegation raised that he intervened to release two people who were arrested for vandalizing Buddha statues in the Mawanella area.
This letter issued under the signature of the former defence secretary Hemasiri Fernando, says the suspects were released by the court after the CID presented facts before the court.
The letter is as follows;
Governor Salley noted that two people who were released in Puttalam had been in custody for 90 days and they were released after being produced before courts. He added that the letter from the defence ministry states that there was no influence.
He said they had provided information about this rogue group from 2005 and have continuously provided photographs, videos and details of all their activities.
Meanwhile, the governor also spoke at the all-party meeting held under the patronage of the President yesterday (April 25).
He said that it is not suitable to say that the president or that the government should resign merely because a bomb went off. He said these attacks should not be politicized.
Salley went onto note that they should as one nation, as Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims and Burghers commit ourselves to eradicate terrorism.
He said the Chairman of the UNP made a statement to the media that two people were missing after vandalizing Buddha statues in the Mawanella area and one such person was a bomber. The Chairman had added that the President and a powerful Muslim released him. Salley requested them not to provide false information to the media.
Salley stated that a leader of another party came before the media and said that there was intimidation and interference. He said if anyone has done that, they ask the president, as the commander in chief to arrest them. He noted that they are not afraid as they speak the truth.
Credit: Source link