Whether you are an entrepreneur, software engineer, or into advertising, we guess that you are all working from home in the current scenario. “Working from home” comes with its own pros and cons; while you are in the comfort of your home, wearing super comfy pajamas and sweat shirts all day long, there’s also the constant fear of extra pounds adding with limited movement and no physical activity (not counting the regular trips one makes to the refrigerator to get something to munch on). Work from home is a setting that facilitates weight gain, and if you are someone who is trying hard to shed extra pounds, you should definitely be a little cautious and find ways to lose weight during this time. In this post, we list down tips for losing weight when you work from home, and it’s for everyone – from software developers, finance heads, content writers, to even homemakers!
1. Subscribe to a Good Weight Loss Program: If you’re struggling to lose weight, it would be a great idea to subscribe to a good weight loss program, such as the Rati Beauty diet (on the Rati Beauty app), which is great resource with the right kind of diet plans and workout routines that will help you drop down numbers as well lose inches from the waist as well. Since these diets are easy to follow and does not require one to starve or stay off food, you are bound to see results in just a few weeks. What’s more, there are exercise routines that you can do at home too (more details on the app).
2. Stick to Fixed Meal Timings: Put an end to frequent snacking and mindless eating by sticking to fixed meal and snacking timings. More details on the Rati Beauty app.
3. Practice Portion Control: Portion control is essential to get into a calorie deficit to burn fat. If you are clueless about portion control, read about “10 Tips to Practice Portion Control at home.”
4. Switch Dinner Plate with a Bowl: There’s an amazing scientific study that states that your brain gets tricked and feels satisfied when you eat from a bowl than from a plate. You would feel full when you eat from a small bowl with the same quantity of food that you eat from a larger plate. Also, the bowl’s weight in hand will give you the feeling that you are consuming more food. So, dump that plate and eat all your meals from a small bowl.
5. Clock in at least 7 to 8 Hours of Sleep: Lack of sleep leads to increased stress, unhealthy cravings, and weight gain. You can eat less and exercise every single day, but without 8 hours of sleep, you would not see any weight loss. So, do not set alarm until you get 8 hours of sleep each night.
6. Set your Workstation Away from the Kitchen: And oh, wherever you choose to sit down to work, make sure it takes a lot of time to reach the kitchen and the refrigerator to avoid unnecessary grazing.
7. Practice Mindful Eating: When you are trying to lose weight and get healthy in general, instead of cutting down on food, give more importance to eating right. It’s a fact that even if you are eating the healthiest of foods, if you don’t eat them mindfully, you would not achieve successful weight loss. Read about “9 Mindful Eating Hacks to Eat Right and Lose Weight” in this post.
8. Get up From Work Desk Every 30 Minutes: Take 10-15 minute breaks in between from time to time and take a walk to freshen you up. Also, fidget those legs whenever you can. What! Yes, apparently, people who fidget their legs through the day can burn significantly more calories than people who are standing still! So, make use of the TV time, and fidget those legs to lose up to 300 calories in a day!
9. Create a Workout Space: Dedicate an area in your home for workout and make sure to change into workout clothes at scheduled timings. Remember to keep aside at least 40 minutes in a day for exercise.
10. If you have to order food from outside, make Wise Choices: If you must eat out, make better food choices. For example, instead of ordering pasta or pizza, order a salad and soup. Also, try to minimize the number of times you eat out, and do stick to the meal plans on the weight loss diet.
11. Cut Back on Sodium: Sodium makes your body retain water and causes bloating which may make your abdomen swell up. Also, avoid processed food items like chips and frozen fries; they contain a lot of salt/sodium and make you gain weight.
12. Stock only Healthy Food in the Refrigerator: We are all guilty of making frequent tips to the refrigerator when we are bored sitting in front of the computer and want something to snack on. Leftover pizza, chocolates, sauces, jams, bread, ice cream, soft drinks can come along with you on each trip and before you know, that big bar of chocolate would have finished, piling up calories. Instead stock your refrigerator with these 10 healthy options.
13. Sip on More Water: Drinking water throughout the day will keep you feeling fuller and you will feel the lesser need to snack in between the meals.
14. Do More NEAT: Being on your feet throughout the day helps in burning calories and keeps metabolism robust. Keep moving throughout the day and practice NEAT activities. NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis and is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight. Read more about how you can include NEAT activities in your daily life here.
9 Mindful Eating Hacks to Eat Right and Lose Weight
12 Fridge Staples That Will Help you Slim Down