When the numbers on the weighing scale creep up slowly and the buttons on the pants tighten up, we panic and start believing in everything that promises weight loss, without verifying facts. Blindly following such weight loss myths can sabotage and ruin your progress and set you up for failure, and that’s why it’s important to debunk the biggest myths surrounding weight loss which we have to absolutely stop believing right now.
1. It’s all in the Genes: It is absolutely wrong to believe that your genes will keep you overweight no matter what you do! You can blame your genes for increasing the risk of obesity, but certainly cannot pin all the blame on your inability to lose weight. So, start making the necessary changes to your diet and lifestyle and see the pounds come off.
2. Dieting is All About Starving and Staying Away from Good Food: Not at all! Many people believe that one of the easiest ways to lose weight is to starve yourself, but starving or crash dieting produces the opposite effect – it will lead to weight gain when the lack of nutrition and energy will force the body to go into a famine and fat-conserving mode. What you can do instead is to start on a good weight loss diet such as the Rati Beauty diet (on the Rati Beauty app) is not about eating bland food and staying hungry in the name of dieting. Your diet program can have food which is delicious and indulging, do check out our weekly diets on the app.
3. Eggs are “bad” for Weight Loss: Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition, rich in protein, vitamins, and essential minerals, and not to forget healthy fats. Eggs are considered to be a superfood if you are planning weight loss. In facts, eggs are considered the best way to kickstart the day with its nutrient-dense properties that also boost metabolism. Additionally, egg keeps one fuller for longer thereby cutting the body’s craving for additional cravings in the form of unhealthy snacks.
4. You Have to Hit the Gym to Lose Weight: Not at all! In fact, you can lose a considerable amount of weight just by dieting and staying at home. As it has been proven beyond doubt, weight loss boils down to 80% diet and 20% exercise, and if your daily calorie intake exceeds your calories burned by exercise, it’s going to be an uphill battle. Also, do remember you can never outrun a bad diet – just find the correct weight loss meal plans on the Rati Beauty app.
5. All Calories are Equal: It’s not prudent to treat all calories the same way because calories from refined and processed/junk food have empty calories with little to no nutritional value, and it’s not the same as eating calories from whole foods, vegetables, fruits, and organic food. Quality is equally important as quantity when it comes to calories because not all calories are created equal. Consider this, eating 500 calories of pizza is not equal to eating 500 calories of brown rice and vegetables where you are getting loads of healthy carbs, protein, vitamins, and minerals that would aid in the fat-burning process, whereas 500 calories of pizza is full of empty calories without any vitamin, protein or fiber content and would only add to the existing pounds.
6. Losing Weight Fast Will Lead to Faster Weight Gain Later: It is also said that if you lose weight too quickly, then you are bound to gain all of the weight back, and that too very quickly. But this theory holds true only if you are following fad diets and getting on unsustainable weight loss plans that work only for short term – it’s not the same with Rati Beauty diet. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep focussing on your eating habits etc, you would not gain weight ever again.
7. There are No Cheat Meals in a Weight Loss Diet: A “cheat meal” once a week is a necessary evil in any weight loss plan. If someone asks you to swear off your favorite food forever, then you are most probably following the wrong kind of diet plan. Cheat meals are essential to reset metabolism, satisfy cravings, prevent binge eating, overcome weight loss plateau, and most importantly, to stick to your diet plan better. In fact, to lose weight successfully, reserve one meal in a week to indulge in your guilty food. Also read – 10 Cheat Meal Rules for Weight Loss.
8. All Fats are Bad for Weight Loss: We would be debunking the biggest myth going around in the world of weight loss right now – that eating fat makes you fat! Just like carbs and protein, fat is also an essential macronutrient, needed in a percentage of 20% to 35% of daily calories. Fat is absolutely necessary for the absorption of vitamins such as A, D, and E because these are fat-soluble vitamins and they boost metabolism instead of making it sluggish, and help with the fat-burning process. If you have to keep away from fats, say no to transfat and processed fats.
9. Diet Soda is a Healthier Alternative to Normal Soda: Soft drinks are considered a must-have during parties and get-togethers because they go so well with party food, but then, these beverages are bad for weight loss goals because they come loaded with sugar and a whole lot of empty calories. Most diet soda options that claim to have zero calories and no “real sugar,” and gets its sweetness from artificial sweeteners, have been considered good news for people on a diet who have to make every calorie count. The problem with diet soda is that it has artificial sweeteners like aspartame or saccharin to match up to the sweetness of refined sugar, but then it also has artificial color, flavour, and other additives which can raise inflammation in the body, triggering weight gain. Also, a high amount of caffeine found in such drinks can make you dehydrated. So, say yes to plain water because it can boost metabolism, curb appetite, and has zero calories!
10. Supplements are the Sure Shot Way to Lose Weight: This is one of the most common and biggest lies about weight loss. If you want to lose weight and get healthy, stay away from all supplements that promise to melt fat and cut fat! They can be risky and cause health issues in the future. It’s better to focus on your diet and get active instead.
11. Juice Cleanses Lead to Weight Loss: A juice cleanse, which has gained huge popularity as a quick method to lose weight, does absolutely nothing to burn real fat. What it does instead is use up the glycogen stores and release water weight from the body, which would show up as weight loss on the weighing scale. Once you have finished the cleanse, all the lost weight will creep back up, and most people do experience sluggishness, headaches, and general malaise after practicing such cleanses. Juice cleanses can never replace a good diet and exercise routine.
Hope we were able to debunk the biggest weight loss myths that would have set you back a great deal, especially when you are trying to shed extra weight.
10 Ways to Cut Hundreds of Empty Calories Through The Day
10 Cheat Meal Rules for Weight Loss